A tense night for residents in Coal Valley. Multiple gas leaks forced people out of their homes.
Fire Chief David Dunham says 15 homes were evacuated Tuesday night due to the smell of natural gas. All the evacuations occurred between 3rd and 6th Streets and 15th to 19th Avenue. People were allowed to return to their homes around 9:30 pm.
The problems began much earlier as fire crews were called out to Headquarters Bar and Grill on 22nd Ave. around 4:45 pm. The owner says there was strong odor of natural gas that even started a small fire in the kitchen. The owner was able to get the fire out before crews arrived on the scene. Not long after another leak was reported at a neighboring house.
A family of four was evacuated from that home. Three people were treated at the scene for dizziness and nausea. All three refused transfer to the hospital.
The owner of the home Shane Sandborg says things could have been much worse. "In the bar they said the levels were high enough it could've exploded. So, it's pretty dangerous living next door that something like that could've happened."
Dunham says he believes the two leaks are related. "You know, right now it seems like they're related, but Midamerican Energy is doing the investigation on if it's a main break outside the street or inside structure itself."
Just hours later several homes began noticing the strong odor of natural gas. Causing crews to evacuate 15 homes.
Mid-American told Dunham they believe that too much pressure in the lines was causing the odors. The company flushed out the line late Tuesday night hoping to solve the problem. They are still investigating if the the leaks in the afternoon are related to the problems later in the day.