Time: 25 minutes
• 2 cups whole milk
• zest of 1/4 orange
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 eggs
• 1 egg yolk
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoon sugar
• 1/4 cup water
• 1 1/2 Tablespoon water
- To make the caramel, combine sugar and 1/4 c. water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat and continue to cook until it turns a rich caramel color. Remove from heat and add 1 1/2 T. water. Be careful not to be burned by the steam--it is very hot! Stir until the water is dissolved.
- Pour into the bottoms of 4 small custard cups for individual servings. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, bring the milk, orange zest and vanilla to a boil over high heat.
- Mix the egg, yolk and sugar with a whip in a bowl until the mixture whitens.
- Pour the boiling milk onto the egg mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour this mixture evenly into the custard cups. Place the cups in a pan and fill the half way up the sides of the custard cups with room temperature water. Bake in a 300 degrees oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The custards are done when they are just "set". Let cool and store in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours.
- To unmold, run a knife around the custards and unmold onto individual plates. If they are difficult to unmold, place the molds briefly in hot water and then unmold onto individual plates. Top with an assortment of fresh berries and some whipped cream.
Click here for more recipes from Let's Dish, only on The Live Well Network, WHBF 4.2