Recipe for Grilled Salsa Chicken Sandwich:
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
½ cup salsa (preferably a less chunky variety)--as hot or as mild as you wish
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 oz. thinly sliced pepper jack cheese
4 high quality hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls
Sliced avocado or guacamole
Pickled jalapeno slices
Thinly sliced red onion
- Place chicken thighs one at a time inside a plastic freezer bag (about the 1 qt. size). Using a meat tenderizer (the flat side), pound the chicken until it is ¼ inch thick. Try to keep it in one piece, but if it tears, it is still usable but will require more attention on the grill later.
- Place the thighs on a baking sheet and coat with the ¼ cup of salsa and 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Turn chicken over and coat with ¼ cup salsa and 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Cover with plastic wrap, place in refrigerator and let marinade 2 and 24 hours.
- Over high heat, grill chicken until cooked through.
- Warm the buns briefly on the grill while the chicken is cooking.
- Assemble the sandwich by placing chicken on the bun bottom, followed by cheese and additional salsa. Serve with additional toppings.
Click here for more recipes from Let's Dish, only on The Live Well Network, WHBF 4.2