Recipe for Baked Mozzarella and Grilled Veggie Sandwich:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
3 zucchini, sliced lengthwise, (1/4-inch thick)
15 oz. roasted red peppers
3 Japanese or Chinese eggplant, sliced lengthwise (1/4 inch thick)
¼ cup olive oil
1 ¾ cups grated mozzarella
¾ cup pesto (purchased or prepared according to recipe below)
5 pieces French bread segments, 6 inches long
- Season the zucchini and eggplant with salt and black pepper. Place the zucchini in a large bowl and coat with olive oil.
- Grill the zucchini and eggplant until cooked through and softened.
- Cut the bread lengthwise so that it is still attached at one side. Coat the cut surfaces with pesto sauce.
- Layer the vegetables inside the sandwich. Top with cheese.
- Wrap each sandwich tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake each sandwich in a 325° F (160° C) for 20–30 minutes or until the sandwich is very hot. Keep wrapped in aluminum foil in a warmer until needed.
2 cups chopped fresh basil
2/3 cup olive oil
¼ cup pine nuts
2 cloves minced garlic
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and black pepper to taste
- Place basil, olive oil, and pine nuts in a food processor or blender. Purée until all the ingredients are ground into a paste.
- Remove from the food processor or blender and stir in parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
Click here for more recipes from Let's Dish, only on The Live Well Network, WHBF 4.2