Recipe for Sabayon with Strawberries, Almonds and Amaretto Cake:
Prep time: 30-60 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
¼ cup sliced almonds
1 lb. ripe strawberries, sliced and mixed with sugar to taste (usually about ¼ cup)
- Best if mixed 30-60 minutes before needed
½ cup sweet Marsala wine
¼ cup sugar
4 large pasteurized egg yolks (from the eggs that are pasteurized in their shells)
4 oz. pound cake cut into 4 slices
3 Tablespoons Amaretto
1. Place almonds on a baking sheet and in a 375¢ª F oven. Bake until they are toasted (about 8 minutes). Remove from the oven and transfer them to a plate to cool.
2. Place a piece of cake in the bottom of a decorative serving bowl. Sprinkle cake with Amaretto.
3. Top with strawberries and then almonds.
4. Combine Marsala, sugar, and egg yolks in a stainless steel bowl.
5. Place bowl over a boiling pot of water. Whisk vigorously while the egg yolks become fluffy.
6. The sabayon is ready when it has tripled in volume and thickened; and there is steam coming from it.
7. Pour over the strawberries and almonds in each bowl and serve immediately.
Click here for more recipes from Let's Dish, only on The Live Well Network, WHBF 4.2